Welcome to The British Horse Society Trustee Nomination Site.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Trustee of The British Horse Society. A diverse, well-qualified Board is essential to the success of the Society. Nominations for three Trustees to join our Board open at 09:00 on Monday 17 February 2020. Please note: The role of trustee is a volunteer position.
The deadline for receipt of completed nominations is 16:00 on Monday 16 March 2020.
Please take a look at our Selection Policy to understand more about the role of a Trustee for The British Horse Society. We are looking for individuals with complimentary skills and expertise to those of our existing Trustees, with priorities for the 2020 Trustee elections being:
To be eligible for election you must be a person aged 18 years or older and have been a member of the Society for at least three years on Wednesday 15 July 2020, the date of the Election Board Meeting. Mi-Voice, an independent electoral services company, will be conducting the election on behalf of the Society again this year.
Please ensure that you review all the documents listed in 'important documents to read' found in the sidebar to the right prior to submitting your application. You will be required to complete and return these documents should you be successfully elected so please ensure that you are happy with the content and requirements.
Any nominations received after 16:00 on Monday 16 March will not be accepted.
All nominations will be reviewed to ensure that the necessary information has been provided. It is therefore recommended that you submit your nomination in advance of the deadline in case any issues are identified.
The Selection Process:
- Once the deadline for nomination for election has passed, the eligibility or ineligibility of nominees under the Articles of Association and the Selection Policy will be assessed. Nominees who are eligible for election may be interviewed by the Nomination Committee either face to face or by telephone.
- Nominees will be assessed against the criteria set out within this Selection Policy which includes the Trustee Role Description and the accompanying Specified Role Description for the vacancy in question. Any candidate who meets the criteria for a Specified Role will be recommended to the Board of Trustees for inclusion as a candidate for election.
- The requirements for the Constitution of the Nomination Committee stipulate that the Committee shall consist of two current trustees and an external independent individual. In addition, this year the Nomination Committee will be supported by a BHS Fellow and subject specialists as necessary.
- This year, interviews will be conducted on Thursday 16th and Friday 17th April 2020.
- The date by which a nominee will be informed of the outcome of the Nomination Committee’s decision will be Wednesday 22 April 2020. Any nominee that does not meet the criteria set out within this selection policy will be informed and given the right of appeal to the Board of Trustees.
- Any appeal to the outcome of the selection process will be heard by the Board of Trustees at their April meeting. The deadline for the receipt of appeals is 17:00 on Wednesday, 29 April 2020. The outcome of an appeal to the Board of Trustees is final and will be communicated in advance of the ballot being finalised and opened to members for voting.
- It is the responsibility of the Nomination Committee to ensure that references are obtained and all other relevant checks are completed
- Successful candidates will be put forward to a member election which will open at 9:00 on Wednesday 10 June 2020.
- If your nomination is accepted we would be grateful if you could please save the date of the Election Board Meeting as you will be required to attend. This will take place after the Members Meeting on Wednesday 15 July 2020. Full details will be featured in the June issue of British Horse. In the meantime, if you require further information please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information that you provide to the questions on the Nomination Site will be used to form the basis of your Candidate Biography which will be publicised in British Horse, on the BHS Website and on the Election Voting Site. All other documents and information provided will only be viewed by Trustees and the appropriate member of staff within the Society.
The Election Process:
Trustees will be elected at the Election Board Meeting each year. When convening an Election Board Meeting the Board will make available to members a voting paper which contains, for each vacancy:
- The names of the candidates in alphabetical order;
- A description of each candidate, based on the information supplied by the candidate in their nomination form;
- A description of the vacancy;
- Such other information as the Board may deem desirable
If only one duly nominated and qualified candidate applies for a particular Trustee role, a statement to that effect will be included and the candidate will be elected in accordance with 12.10.5.
In 2020 The British Horse Society have appointed Mi-Voice as independent scrutineer to conduct the election process and facilitate voting via online and paper ballots. Details of the online ballot will be emailed to members and the voting paper which should be returned to the office of the independent scrutineer will be available in the June issue of British Horse.
The result of the election will be declared to candidates at the close of voting and declared to the membership by the Chairman at the Election Board Meeting.